About Titlow Lodge
Titlow Lodge was originally the 3-1/2 story Hotel Hesperides, built in 1911 by Aaron R. Titlow. The Swiss chalet styled hotel was designed by architect Frederick H. Heath who also designed Stadium and Lincoln High Schools, the former National Realty Building (currently Key Bank Downtown Tacoma) and the Central School Building.
Fully self-supporting, Titlow supplied his hotel with fresh milk, eggs, chicken, vegetables, fruit and berries from his farm also located on the 200 acre property.
For awhile, it was the only tourist and summer hotel on tide water in the state of Washington. By 1923 it was no longer profitable and the hotel closed.
In 1926 The Metropolitan Park District of Tacoma acquired the property and in 1928 the Hotel Hesperides reopened as the Titlow Beach Lodge. The lodge was closed from 1937-1941 during a Works Progress Administration park improvement project. During the project, the top 2 stories of the lodge were removed. After the remodel, part of the lodge housed the Assistant Superintendent of Parks and his family and another part was used as a rental facility.
After the remodel, part of the lodge housed the Assistant Superintendent of Parks and his family and another part was used as a rental facility. Since 1974, Titlow Lodge has been only a community center and rental facility.
Last Updated: Sep 12, 2011 10:38 AM